history of Nilgiris dates back to eleventh and twelfth
century. The Nilgiris was first mentioned in Silapathikaram.
The Nilgiris was part of the Kingdoms ruled by most
of the rulers of South India viz. the Cheras, the Cholas,
the Pandiyas, the Rashtrakutas, the Ganges, the Pallavas,
Kadambas and the Hoysalas. The illustrious king of
Hoysalas Vishnuvardhana (A.D. 1111-1141) had conquered
Nilgiris and turned the Nila mountains into a city.
The Nilgiris was part of the Vijayanagar Kingdom from 1336 to 1565. After its
fall in 1565 the rulers of Mysore gained control over the Nilgiris. Later it
came under the rule of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan (1760 to 1799). The Nilgiris
was ceded to the East India Company in 1799 by a Treaty of Srirangapattanam.
However this beautiful mountainous region was unknown to British until 1818.
was John Sullivan, an Englishman and Collector of Coimbatore,
who was destined to have greater cultural impact on the
Nilgiri hills than any other single person, Indian or European.
He had a strong love of Nature and propensity for Agriculture
and Gardening. He was the first European official to build
a house and settle there.
introduced a number of old varieties of plants from Europe
and South Africa which form part of the Nilgiris flora
today. He is responsible for developing the Nilgiris and
Udhagamandalm in particular.
Ootacamund is well brought out by Lord Lytton, Governor
General of India who visited the hills in September 1877.
He loved the rainy and muddy road in Ootacamund.